Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sweet Pumpkin Porridge (Pengat Labu)

Photobucket

Dear readers,
Assalamualaikum and hello everyone,
I am sharing with you today a sweet dish called Pengat Labu or Sweet Pumpkin Porridge. A nice dessert and simple to make. The sugar quantity is up to you to adjust as per your taste.

Here's the video:



Here's the recipe:

SWEET PUMPKIN PORRIDGE (PENGAT LABU)
Ingredients:

1/2 pumpkin (cut into small pieces and boil)
1 - 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 litre coconut milk
2 tsp salt
1 pandan leaf/screw pine leaf (if unavailable use essence of pandan)



Photobucket

Method:
1) Place the pumpkin in a deep pan and add in the coconut milk, brown sugar, salt and pandan leaf.
2) Stir until the coconut milk boils.
3) Serve hot or cold as preferred.

Enjoy.

MY THOUGHTS

Photobucket




I was shopping at a store today when I passed by a playground. I saw some children of various ages playing there. A group of girls, I think about 11 or 12 years old, approached me and asked if I could spare a few dollars. I was stunned. I said did your parents know about this.They said that they just wanted to buy some sweets. I said don't beg for money from anyone.Ask from your parents.They looked scared when I said that, maybe thinking I was going to see their parents. I would too if I know their parents but I don't.


I feel so sorry for them but I can't give them the money and encourage such behaviour. It's a crazy world we live in and there are crazy people who wouldn't think twice of harming children. Parents should tell the children about the dangers of approaching strangers. Begging is also bad.

I remember my dad used to tell us never to look at other people when they are eating. You know how it is with children, especially when they see other people eating ice cream and sweets etc. They will look with longings. If we want anything he said to come to him and never beg for anything from anyone even when we were hungry.

I walked home still thinking about those girls.


Till we meet again take care of yourself.


Jazakum Allahu Khairan
Umi



source of anime:
http://www.cyarena.com/

13 comments:

  1. I love sweet pumpkin!

    I prefer mine sauteed in butter with ginger and onions and a dash of salt. The light cooking really brings out the sweetness.

    The photo of your dish looks good enough to eat, Umi. Thanks for sharing another interesting recipe with your readers today. I'm a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. labu masak lemak.. sedap makan ngan nasik + sambal belacan + ikan masin..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this one is your very best dish yet. I like pumpkin very much. I think I will definitely try to make this one myself. All of the dishes I've seen from you have seemed to be very good. You must be a very good cook.

    I hope those girls learn to stay away from strangers. I agree that what they do is very dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. salam..
    singgah di pagi Khamis
    moga sihat empunya blog..
    ermm orang Kedah panggil
    ni "Serawa labu"
    :)


    MEMANG SEDAP!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Assalamuaikum Umi,

    Sweet Pumpkin Porridge ....
    I have never tried it, but from photos
    I am think that it would taste very good.

    Re: Your thought
    I am very surprised to know that little girls would dare to beg for money from stranger.

    This is frightening, because I felt that children are the basic foundation of our society.

    I wonder what kind of parents do they have ?

    Let's hope that not many kids are doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @teecup
    Hi teecup, that sounds superb, perhaps you care to share that lovely recipe here.Would be grand ya.

    Aww,thank you for the compliment teecup,I am your fan too you know.

    Thank you for dropping by my friend.Appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @:nhalilah:.

    Welcome my dear, thank you for taking the time to visit.I know how busy you are.

    Happy fasting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ratty,
    Hi Ratty,
    Happy to see you here.Thank you for the kind comment.Do try it.Would be great to have it for afternoon tea outside.

    Yes Ratty what they did was dangerous.So many cases of abduction and never ends well. Wish their parents arent so remiss on this.

    Great to have you here my friend.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @zulkbo

    W/salam sahabat,
    Ha tu dia Serawa Labu. Cheq tau tapi saja Cheq letak pengat sebab orang lain panggil pengat. Satni depa kata Cheq ni Kedahan sangat hahaha.

    Gurau dengan sahabat tu. Labu ni masak apa pun perghhh..tapi setengah orang alah juga sebab angin.

    Terima kasih sudi ziarah Umi

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Multibrand
    Hi Harry,
    This Sweet Pumpkin Porridge is excellent for afternoon tea.Ya it taste good.

    Sometimes parents are at fault but sometimes the kids followed their peers even though their parents have done their best to instill in them good values and good manners. It's best that parents pay attention about their children's friends too.I agree with you that children are the basic foundation of society. Sadly today's children has many challenges to face especially from peers.

    Thank you for taking the time to visit me Harry. Have a productive day ahead and a joyous breaking of fast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sarap niyan..can we exchange link..i hope you can add my blog to your blog list..add you also..tell me if u add me..thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our Filipino version has no sugar... but it really tastes so good. We add ginger for a kick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Itin
    I am sure the Filipino version is tasty. Ginger will definitely gives a lovely aroma and taste to the dish.

    Thank you for dropping by to comment
    Take care

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...