Saturday, September 7, 2013
CUCUR BADAK ( SWEET POTATO FRITTERS WITH SPICY COCONUT & SHRIMPS FILLING)
Assalamualaikum and hello. Of all the "kueh" that I have shared in Tea With Umi, this is my favourite. So, I am sharing this kueh again with you my readers in umidishes. This kueh is called Cucur Badak ( Sweet potato fritters with spicy coconut and shrimps fillings). This is also another winner for breaking fast.Some people prefer to place a shrimp onto the kueh. The sweet potato dough can be replaced with tapioca. My late mum preferred tapioca dough. The tapioca has to be grated and the liquid squeezed before it is turned into dough.
Hope you will have fun trying. Here's the video.
And here's the recipe.
2 1/2 cup coconut
1 cup shrimps
3 tbs. vegetable oil
1 tbs fennel (grind)
10 pieces red chillies
1 big onion
2 lemon grass
1 in. ginger
3 pieces fresh tuneric
salt to taste
4 cups mashed sweet potato
2 cups flour
5 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
1) Heat oil in wok and fry the blended ingredients.
2) Add shrimps,salt and coconut.
3) Fry until the shrimps are cooked and the liquid are about dry. (Let the fillings be a bit moist)
1) Mix the mashed sweet potato with the flour and knead until all flour are well mixed with the
2) Pinch a bit of the dough and make into a small ball. (rub palms with flour to avoid the dough sticking to palm)
3) Flattened the ball in the centre and fill the centre with 1 tsp of the coconut filling.
4) Close the dough into a ball and press the top a bit to flatten it.
5) Heat oil in wok and deep fry the kueh until golden brown.
6) Drain the oil on a kitchen tissue or dish towel.
7) Serve with tea.
Battle of the Bulge
The problem with "the Bulge" is that it is positioned at the most strategic and highly visible terrain. Kinda hard to camouflage either. Hence the battle. A friend confided that she tried getting help from professionals to combat the bulge. So she went for a "trial" treatment. However she was quite unhappy over the "hidden cost". The treatment seemed quite reasonably priced in the advert. But the hidden cost were staggering. Whats worse; the hidden cost is not an option if you want to win the war. Its necessary. So she decided to forget the treatment.
Cellulite is hard to get rid of.Its a combination of fat globules,waste matter and water trapped in connective tissues.
Here are some suggestions to help us win the war.
1) Eat more fruits and veges. Fruit and veges juices could also do some detox on our system.
2) Eat a healthy balance diet.
3) Rest well
4) Constipation usually is one of the causes of cellulite. So we have to make sure this is out of the way. Some of the old folks remedies is worth trying ...fibers lots and lots of fibers, drink at room temperature, chew your food well and yes no midnite snacks.
5) Clear the exit on our skin so hopefully some cellulite can escape. Drink a lot of water and watch the salt intake coz salt retains water.
6) This is going to be hard ,speaking for myself hahaha...muscle-toning exercise.You have to ask the expert on how to do this.
7) Gentle kneading massage on the spot of trouble after the exercise.
8) Learn proper breathing technique to get as much oxygen as possible. I think yoga has very good breathing technique..I have to look this up too.
9) Last but not least try to stay calm. Cellulite builds up when the muscles are tense. Again yoga is good in this area. The discipline helps in our breathing, stretching and overall relaxation.
The above may not make us the biggest looser but I hope we stay healthy while we loose some weight.Take care.
Jazakum Allahu Khairan
The Doctors Book of Home Remedies