Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chicken Varuval

Chicken Varuval

Assalamualaikum Dear Readers,

I am so excited to share this Chicken Varuval dish with you; my umidishes readers. A friend on the facebook has taught me how to cook this dish. Her name is Carolyn and she is currently residing in London. Chicken Varuval according to Carolyn is a Madurai Tamilian dry dish. The recipe that she shared with me was for Mutton Varuval. I couldn't find any in the supermarket so I have substituted the mutton with chicken. I am sure Mutton Varuval would taste just as marvelous.

The first time I tasted Chicken Varuval was when I went for a holiday a few months back in Port Dickson. It was so good that I wanted to try cook this dish.When Carolyn shared this recipe with me it was like a wish come true. I thank you Carolyn for sharing this recipe with me.

So here's the video. Enjoy.



Here's the recipe:

4 breast of chicken (wash and cut into cubes)
1 tomato (cubed)
1 stalk coriander leaves (chopped)

For marinate:
1 tbs yoghurt
4 cloves garlic (pounded)
1 in. ginger (pounded)
2 tbs chilli powder
1 tbs corriander seed (grinded)
1 tbs black peppercorn (grinded)
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
1 tsp fennel (grinded)
1 tsp cumin (grinded)
salt to taste

Mix all the ingredients and marinate the chicken for few hours.

For frying:
4 cloves garlic (pounded)
5 shallots (pounded)
1 in ginger (pounded)
2 cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
1 tsp cloves


For last frying to pour over the chicken:
5 dried red chillies (slice thinly)
5 shallots (slice thinly)
5 stalk of curry leaf

Method:
1) Heat 3 tbs of oil. Fry the spices, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom until aromatic.
2) Add in the onion. Fry for a minute. Add in the ginger and garlic paste. Fry until slightly brown.
3) Add in the tomato and fry for a minute.
4) Add in the marinated chicken. Cover and let the chicken simmer.
5) Let the chicken cooked until all the juice is all absorbed or you can also choose to have some gravy.
6) Fry in a separate pan, onions, dried chillies and curry leaves until brown.
7) Pour over the cooked Chicken Varuval and stir in the chopped coriander leaves.
8) One last stir and the chicken is ready to serve.


Chicken Varuval

Bon appetit.

MY THOUGHTS

Raining

Rain

My sympathy for the people in Queensland Australia.Fierce winds and driving rains brought by the most powerful storm ever to hit Queensland. Yasi was classed as a category five cyclone as it crossed the coast, then to category three, but still it was as dangerous.Tully Heads in far north Queensland was hit the most.Houses were torn apart, trees shredded by winds that roared like jet engines.The cyclone follows the worst floods in Queensland's history, triggered by tropical storms.

In the home front, flood hits the southern states of Melaka,Negri Sembilan, Pahang and Johor.However the flood situation is reported improving with more victims returning home and evacuation centres closed today though some roads in Johor are still only passable by heavy vehicles.

In Pakistan, seven months after the devastating flood hit the country, millions remain without food or shelter, and the situation could get from bad to worse now that winter has set in. Nearly 20 million people are affected.The floods submerged one-fifth of Pakistan, an area the size of the United Kingdom.Large numbers of people in the flood-affected provinces still desperately need assistance – including hundreds of thousands of Pakistani children who are now battling malnutrition.With the arrival of winter, the need for shelter, safe drinking water, food and health care has become more acute, whats more donations have already slowed to a trickle.There is a danger that we might forget that Pakistan still need a great deal of help.

So far the first month of the new year has been plagued by natural disasters and unrest. Earthquake magnitude 6.9 hit Argentina,earthquake magnitude 5.2 hit Southern XinJiang, China,earthquake 7.1 magnitude hit Chile,earthquake hits south-east Iran, heavy floods leave at least 35 dead in Brazil,earthquake 4.5 magnitude hit California earthquake, measuring 7.4 hit Pakistan and huge waves destroy homes on the coastal area of Sikka Regency, East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia.

What will the next few weeks bring.Wallahuallam. I pray for peace and safety for us all.



To all my friends I dedicate this song to all of you. Name of song is Teman Terulung by Anuar Zain.



I see you soon,take care in the meantime.

Jazakum Allahu Khairan
Umi



source of:
Floods in Malaysia: (themalaysianinsider.com)
Queensland: (BBC News Asia Pasific)
Pakistan: ( unicef.org)
Anuar Zain video:(youtube.com/user/Zeeajijah)
Rain graphics: (allgraphics123.com)

25 comments:

  1. I have never heard of chicken varuval ni.
    Mesti sedap ni..
    BTW, thanks for sharing Anuar's song. I have never listened to the song before..First time dengar. Very nice lyric :) Have a nice day, Umihoney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post Umi, the recipe again looks fantastic.
    As for recent news and weather that is affecting the world, I guess it has always happened somewhere but now technology has created easier access to it all so we are far more alert and aware of global issues.
    Could you post something about where you live? I travelled through Malaysia and I loved it, I think it would be nice to share..

    Have a great week and happy Sunday. Luke :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. salam ziarah anda Umie
    ermm..masakan India selatan
    ke tu,nampak menyelerakan
    saya pun suka..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assakamuaikum,

    Hmmmmmmm .......
    I wish that I can really bite a piece of the chicken Varural. WOW! Looks very delicious.

    I am very sad with all the 'series' of natural disasters that plagued many parts of the world.
    I am very sad with the floods that cause so many lives. I hope that efforts will be made to prevent such flood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @TK
    If you happen to be in Tanjung Tuan beach resort you can order this dish from the chef at the Indian section of the beach cafe. She is a marvellous cook.I have tasted both her chicken and mutton Varuval( it is spelled varuvel in the menu there lol) and I had that with both rice and roti chanai..hahaha sounds like i had stuff myself there..I had a marvellous time there coz food was fantastic.

    Glad you like the song.It has meaningful lyrics about friendship. I think the composer is a lady,named Azalea.Great singer great song for my great friends.

    Take care dear and thanks for coming over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Luke

    hey hey my friend on the go :)
    Thank you for visiting considering how busy you are. This dish is fantasic.I especially like hot and spicy food LOL..some may not though.

    You are absolutely right. We are being updated all the time on this and it is kinda worrying though. As soon as I posted this Sri Lanka was hit by torrential downpour and the flooding that ensued displaced thousands.

    It is an interesting suggestion Luke. This blog has evolved from a pure cooking blog to what it is today based on friends suggestion..it was Harry that suggested the addition of some discussions or topic of current interest and to add something about my place as per your suggestion would require me to get out my Hush Puppies walking shoes,my Guy Laroche shade, sony handycam and my gamps hahaha..just kidding Luke.

    I might from time to time do as you suggest. Thanks for you unstinting support bro. Appreciate that very much.

    Take care ya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @zulkbo
    w/salam sdr zulkbo. Ya ini masakan India selatan. Rakan fb yang berasal dari Goa tetapi sekarang menetap di London telah sudi mengajar Umi masakan ini..antara kebaikan fb yang membawa menafaat..berbagi ilmu :)

    Terima kasih sudi mampir. Selamat sejahtera buat mu sahabat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Harry Nizam
    W/salam my dear friend.
    As always I am happy to see you here.Wish you could taste it too Harry :)

    We tend to forget that the earth is equipped with some cushion to lessen the impact of disasters. Man made structures aren't enough. Mangrove swamps ,bamboos are some of these cushion that would lessen the impact of floods and landslides. Trees,hills and mountains are there for a purpose and in our haste to develop we take that all away.

    However much we prepare ourselves for disaster, force of nature is something that is beyond us.

    Thank you for coming.I appreciate that very much Harry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. untungkan kalau disetiap negara di dunia ni kita ada kawan, berbagai citarasa masakan dapat kita belajar. sedap nampaknya karinya tu. ada lagu anwar zain lagi, kite click, dengar sambil baca posting umi ni. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @pepcoy
    Ya Rad untung kita kalau yang bersahabat itu ikhlas dan sudi berbagi ilmu. Malangnya jarang yang begitu.
    Terima kasih sudi singgah dan tinggalkan komen disini buat Umi
    Allah bless you and your family Rad

    ReplyDelete
  11. Salam Umi,

    looks delicious..I love chickens so I could give this a try, tq for sharing.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Cheqna
    W/salam dear friend,
    certainly is..do give it a try..you can plus and minus according to your taste ya...have fun trying.
    Thanks for dropping by.Appreciate that very much

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope all the flood water victims are ok now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i want to try it. here is my email address: www.Yocheved@edenic-kingdom.com to contact me, Umi. This is Chabash

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Pete
    Hi Pete,hope your CNY was a great one.
    I share that hope too Pete.It's hard being in the rescue centre.

    Thanks for dropping by Pete

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Chah
    Hey Chah.This is a pleasant surprise. Thank you for dropping by.

    Hope you are well. The last time we spoke,if I am not mistaken you are a vegetarian. I will catch up with you on facebook ya.

    Take care Chah.

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice..nampak sedap je kak..wah3..nanti bole try suh bakal bini masak ni..cam sodap jek..

    ReplyDelete
  18. @amie
    Terima kasih sudi mampir.Umi rasa bakal isteri Amie mesti pandai masak.Cubalah ya.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think everyone sorry about the flooding
    and I think also, everybody lepingin chicken meat presented above.hehehe pagi pagi jadi lapar ne,hehe syukron sharingnya

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Wisata Murah
    Thank you so much for visiting me.
    Yes we are all sympathetic about it.Hope they can rebuild whats been damaged soon.
    Rasanya memang enak sekali kalau suka makanan pedas.
    Terima kasih kembali and hope to see you here again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Look's tempting and definitely will try one of this day. Nice blog you have here. Do visit me at PATYSKITCHEN.

    ReplyDelete
  22. my dear, how are you...well, i hope, greetings from Italy...a from that crazy italian ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Patsy's Kitchen
    Thank you for visiting and the kind comments.I shall return the favour soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. oops sorry Paty's Kitchen ..pardon the error

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Danilo Coppola
    Danilo my dear friend.Thank you for the visit. I am good. Greetings from me in Malaysia to you. Take care of yourself and no I don't think you are crazy. You have an awesome blog my friend :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...