Saturday, September 7, 2013

Pajeri Nenas (Pineapple in Spicy Gravy)

Pajeri Nenas

Dear readers,

It's good to be back.Thank you for visiting me while I was away. I'm sharing with you now a popular dish that is served during wedding reception. It's called Pajeri Nenas or Pineapple in Spicy Gravy. This dish is interesting because it has a sweet fruity flavour and spicy at the same time. It's best to use a very ripe and sweet pineapple. Other fruits that can be used as pajeri is mango, cashew fruit and buah kedondong.(also known as Ambarella (spondias dulcis)/Great Hog Plum/Otaheite apple,Tahitian quince/Jamaica plum).

Enjoy the video everyone.



Here's the recipe:

1 small ripe pineapple (remove the skin and the "nose",cut into small pieces - see pix below.
note: thats not me cutting the pineapple LOL)

Photobucket


Photobucket

(source:http://maona.net/archives/2005/01/how_to_cut_pine_1.php)

1 cup meat curry powder (mix with some water
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup kerisek (roast coconut flakes and pound)
1/2 cup dried shrimp (pound coarsely)
10 pieces small Bombay onions (slice thinly)
5 cloves garlic (slice thinly)
1 in ginger (slice thinly)
1 tbs black pepper (grind)
3/4 cup palm sugar (brown sugar alternative)
1/2 cup oil
2 cups water
spices (1 in cinnamon,1 tsp cloves,1 tsp cardamom,1 star anise)
some curry leaves
salt to taste

Method:

1) Heat the oil and fry the spices,onions,garlic,ginger and curry leaves.Fry until brown.
2) Add in the curry powder.Add half cup of the water.Fry until the curry powder is cooked and the oil separates, forming bubbles at the top (about 3-4 minutes).
3) After that we add in the pepper,dried shrimp,palm sugar,kerisek and another half cup of water.Let the sugar dissolve and the mixture boils.
4) When the mixture has boiled add in the coconut milk,salt and 1 cup of water.Stir.Add in the pineapples.
5) Let the pajeri simmer slowly until the pineapples soften and the gravy thicken and reduced.
6) Ready to serve.

Do try this lovely dish.Pajeri Nenas is fruity sweet and spicy at the same time.Take care of yourself and thank you for making the time to watch the video and read my blog.



Salam
Umi

(pix from umidishes album)

21 comments:

  1. This looks yummy!Will definitely try this, the next time I visit Malaysia.Terima kasih for sharing.Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amina for dropping by.Terima kasih kembali,ya its good to be back..miss all of you my dear friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Umi,
    I have very glad to see you again.
    Although you were away for only one week (?)
    but it seems like ages.

    Re: your latest menu
    I always love Nenas/Pineapple. I am sure that
    Pajeri Nenas tastes delicious. Although I have
    not taste it but the photos makes me starved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favourite dish. Gonna try out this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I never would have thought about pineapple in a gravy sauce but it sounds good. I love fresh pineapple, and we have plenty of mangoes here to use, also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dave,
    If mango is being used then we just have to cut it into half and remove the seed in the centre, and follow this recipe.Best is semi ripe mango..if you use cashew fruit then it's best to use ripe ones and remove the seed b4 cooking.Have fun trying Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Umi

    This sounds delicious...enjoy the day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Jeannine.
    Thank you my friend,you too have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's TK here...Wah! Paceri nenas...can't remember when was the last time I had paceri nenas. It's hard to find it here. I love all malay dishes with pineapples. Memang sedap!BTW, what curry powder do u use?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello TK,
    I use Babas and Adabi.When I am extra hardworking,I wiil use the batu giling (stone grinder) and make them myself..taste way so much better.Try this pajeri TK.It's awesome with salted fish as side dish and beras kampung ..aduhai.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woww...Umi, I love pineapple.. it's such a tasty dish...
    Must be try this one.
    Thanks Umi...
    (Love to hear you back my dear friend...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nensa dear,
    Thank you for visiting.It's good to be back ya.Hope you will try the dish.Bon apetit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi looks yummy....will definitely come back and check out more goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Oman Collective Intelligence,
    Thank you for visiting me.Wish I know your name.Kinda long to mention you by the blog name :)
    You are very welcome to come and visit me again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Arrrrkkkk umihoney.
    Stop cooking my favourite recipe.
    I am on diet right now...
    Almost same recipe I know. Except for the black pepper. It make my stomach ache and my body heat risen...

    ReplyDelete
  16. sure you know how used esotic fruit, delicious. Tanks for your letterary encouragement:-) Take Care.
    Danilo

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi lunaticg,
    thank you for visiting me.this dish is not fattening i think LOL...you can omit the pepper if you wish..i add coz i want a tinge of hotness..not too sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. hello Danilo
    Thank you for visiting.You have a nice blog.It's a pleasure to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. umihoney ! your back. How was for vacation ? good i hope. And I see your still doing your thing cooking ?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Squirly,
    Yes I am back and yes I am still doing my thing cooking LOL.The visit to my family was good..so good I need another vacation to recuperate from the vacation hehe.Thank you for making the time to visit me,appreciate it very much Squirly.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...