Saturday, September 7, 2013
Pajeri Nenas (Pineapple in Spicy Gravy)
It's good to be back.Thank you for visiting me while I was away. I'm sharing with you now a popular dish that is served during wedding reception. It's called Pajeri Nenas or Pineapple in Spicy Gravy. This dish is interesting because it has a sweet fruity flavour and spicy at the same time. It's best to use a very ripe and sweet pineapple. Other fruits that can be used as pajeri is mango, cashew fruit and buah kedondong.(also known as Ambarella (spondias dulcis)/Great Hog Plum/Otaheite apple,Tahitian quince/Jamaica plum).
Enjoy the video everyone.
Here's the recipe:
1 small ripe pineapple (remove the skin and the "nose",cut into small pieces - see pix below.
note: thats not me cutting the pineapple LOL)
1 cup meat curry powder (mix with some water
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup kerisek (roast coconut flakes and pound)
1/2 cup dried shrimp (pound coarsely)
10 pieces small Bombay onions (slice thinly)
5 cloves garlic (slice thinly)
1 in ginger (slice thinly)
1 tbs black pepper (grind)
3/4 cup palm sugar (brown sugar alternative)
1/2 cup oil
2 cups water
spices (1 in cinnamon,1 tsp cloves,1 tsp cardamom,1 star anise)
some curry leaves
salt to taste
1) Heat the oil and fry the spices,onions,garlic,ginger and curry leaves.Fry until brown.
2) Add in the curry powder.Add half cup of the water.Fry until the curry powder is cooked and the oil separates, forming bubbles at the top (about 3-4 minutes).
3) After that we add in the pepper,dried shrimp,palm sugar,kerisek and another half cup of water.Let the sugar dissolve and the mixture boils.
4) When the mixture has boiled add in the coconut milk,salt and 1 cup of water.Stir.Add in the pineapples.
5) Let the pajeri simmer slowly until the pineapples soften and the gravy thicken and reduced.
6) Ready to serve.
Do try this lovely dish.Pajeri Nenas is fruity sweet and spicy at the same time.Take care of yourself and thank you for making the time to watch the video and read my blog.
(pix from umidishes album)