Saturday, September 7, 2013
SUP AYAM ALA MAMAK (CHICKEN SOUP MALAYSIAN INDIAN MUSLIM STYLE)
This is a continuation of our Malaysian Indian Muslim dishes.Umidishes is happy to present another Malaysian favourite; Sup Ayam Ala Mamak. The Indian Muslims specialised in this dish. The stalls and food outlet are frequented normally at night and opened till the wee hour of the morning. All types of soup is available, mutton,chicken and beef including the famous "Torpedo Soup"...specially made for the men.
So let us watch the video presentation.Enjoy.
Here is the recipe:
SUP AYAM ALA MAMAK
1 chicken (clean and cut into small pieces)
1 big onion (slice thinly half of the onion,pounded the other half)
4 cloves garlic (grated/pounded)
1 in. ginger (grated/pounded)
1 tsp. cumin (grind)
1 tsp. fennel (grind)
1 tbs. coriander (grind)
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cardamom
1 star anise
1 pc. cinnamon
1 tbs. white pepper (grind)
2 jugs of water (according to amount of soup you want)
1 carrot (cut into small pieces)
5 pcs. potato (cut into 4)
2 pcs tomato (wedges)
2 pcs. fresh green chillies (cut into half lengthwise)
1 tbs. corn flour (add with some water)
1 stalk of Chinese celery,spring onion,coriander leaves.
2 tbs. oil
salt to taste
1) Heat oil in pot and fry onions,garlic and ginger.
2) Fry for 1 minute and add in the spices except pepper. Fry for 2 minutes and add in 1 jug of water.
3) Stir the soup and add in the potatoes. Boil until the potatoes are soft.
4) When the potato is soft,add another jug of water (the amount is according to the amount of soup you want). Add the corn flour mixture.This is to thicken the soup.
5) Add the tomatoes,green chillies and carrot. Stir.
6) Add in the pepper,salt,chicken and the leaves (coriander,Chinese celery,spring onion).
7) Add in the fried onion. This is to thicken the soup and to balance the taste of the soup.
8) Boil until the chicken is cooked.
9) Remove from the stove.Ready to serve. Garnish with spring onion and Chinese celery.
Hope you will try this Sup Ayam ala Mamak. Bon apetit.
(pix from umidishes album)