Saturday, September 7, 2013
Rendang Pedas Utara (Hot Northern Rendang)
RENDANG PEDAS UTARA
(pix from umidishes album)
Hello dear readers. Umidishes presents Rendang Pedas Utara or Hot Northern Rendang. This dish is native to the northern state of Malaysia especially Kedah. The ingredients are pretty simple and few. I have used chicken for this rendang dish but you can use any type of meat instead..up to you. Those of you who are celebrating Chinese New Year on this coming February 14th. may try this simple rendang. The amount of chilly can be reduced or added according to your preference. Please excuse the slight noise in the recording.It was raining during the shoot hence the noise. I hope you will enjoy the video. Lets watch.
Here's the recipe:
RENDANG PEDAS UTARA (HOT NORTHERN RENDANG)
1 whole chicken or any type of meat of your choice (cut into small pieces)
4 cups coconut milk
40 pieces of dried red chillies (boil and blend)
3 large big onions (pounded)
3 lemon grass (bruise)
3 in. galangal/lengkuas (pounded)
6 pieces candle nut/buah keras/kemiri (pounded)
(Umi's note:candle nut is optional to add taste and to thicken the rendang.)
1/2 cup tamarind juice
salt to taste
1) Heat the wok and put in the chilly,onions,galangal,candle nut and coconut milk.
2) Mix all the ingredients well and let it boil.
3) When the rendang mixture has boiled and the gravy has slightly reduced, add in the lemon grass, salt,tamarind juice and chicken.
4) Mix them well and let the rendang simmer under slow fire until the chicken has cooked and the gravy has thicken.
5) If you prefer the gravy to be thicker simmer longer else remove from the stove.
6) Ready to serve.
So that's my recipe for today. Do visit umidishes next time for other dishes. In the meantime take care of yourself.Happy trying...bye.