Saturday, September 7, 2013

Daging Masak Kicap Nasi Kandar(Beef in Soy Sauce Malaysian Indian Muslims Style)

Daging Masak Kicap Nasi Kandar


Hello my dear readers.Hope everyone have had a wonderful Chinese New Year celebration and a joyous holiday.I'd also like to extend my heartiest congratulation to one of our umidishes member, Rad alias Den Macho and his wife, on the birth of their 7th child, Muhammad Abdul Razak on the 17th February. recently. All in all the new week of the New Year of the Tiger has been a joyful one,alhamdulillah.

In this outing,umidishes wish to share with you a dish that is very popular in Malaysian among the Nasi Kandar fans.The dish is called Daging Masak Kicap Nasi Kandar or Beef in Soy Sauce Malaysian Indian Muslims Style. For those of you who are not familiar with Malaysia, the Indian Muslims community here are mostly restaurateurs selling Nasi Kandar and other Indian dishes.


Let us watch the video.Enjoy.



Here's the recipe:

DAGING MASAK KICAP NASI KANDAR

Ingredients:

1 kg. meat (boiled and cut as you wish)
1 cup sweet soy sauce
1/4 cup chilli powder
1 tbs cumin (grind)
1 tbs fennel (grind)
1 tbs garam masala
1 tbs pepper (grind)
1 tbs fried onions.
1 stalk lemon grass (bruised) this is optional.
2 cups water
3 big onions (slice thinly)
2 in ginger (slice thinly)
4 cloves garlic (slice thinly)
3 tomatoes (cut into wedges)
2 green chillies (cut into half lengthwise)
spices: 1in cinnamon,1 tsp cloves,1 star anise.1 tsp cardamom
1 stalk spring onion ( cut roughly)
1 stalk coriander leaf (cut roughly)
few stalks of curry leaf
1/2 cup oil for frying
salt to taste if you wish (optional because the soy sauce is already salty)

Method:

1) Heat oil and fry onion.ginger and garlic until brown.
2) Add the curry leaf and spices.
3) Add in the curry powder.cumin,fennel and garam masala.Stir for 1 minute.
4) Add in 1 cup of water and soy sauce. Stir well.
5) Add in the meat and another 1 cup of water.
6) Add in the fried onion to thicken the sauce and to give the taste some balance.
7) Add in the tomatoes,lemon grass and green chillies. Stir well.
8) Let the meat simmer in the soy sauce until the sauce thickens slightly and the meat is tender.
9) You can add salt at this point if you like.
10) When the sauce has thicken and the meat is tender add in the spring onion and coriander leaves. Stir and remove from the stove.
11) Ready to serve.

Till we meet again,take care and enjoy trying the Daging Masak Kicap Nasi Kandar.


Salam
Umi
(pix from umidishes album)

24 comments:

  1. Hi Umi,

    I have taken my lunch, but coming here makes me hungry again.
    "Daging Masak Kicap Nasi Kandar"
    look very Delicious. Can I print it out so I can try to cook it?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Umi.I love this dish!I want to cook this really, since I've been craving for this, but the problem is...lemon grass, curry leaf and sweet soya sauce are not available here.Thanks for sharing anyway.I might be visiting Malaysia on April...wish we could meet.See yah around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nizam thank you for visiting.You may reprint if you so wish.The recipes in this blog are for sharing.Have fun trying.Bon apetit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amina dear thank you for being here.You may omit the lemon grass since its not available.Bay leaf can be used instead.Soy sauce has no substitute I'm afraid.Maybe you can order online.The dish can also be eaten with Pilaf rice or bread.I hope you will be able to acquire the soy sauce.Take care.God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for giving me a salute. Your dishes are beautiful and should also be very good. hello

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome and thank you for visiting me and leaving comments Fatiha..shukran

    ReplyDelete
  7. Umihoney, I wish that we are neighbours so that u can pass me some of what u cook..x malu betul hehe.I see that you used a lot of spices. Then it must be very tasty and delicious. Would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha..everyday tapau also no problem.It's a variety but not in lsrge quantity so we can get a mixture of taste and smell the aroma of the spices.Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. visiting you my dear friend umihoney...hhmm, rice with butter...I hope I.ll be the first people to ask for menu in your restaurant...amin..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amin..thank you for the doa NGDlover my friend.May it come true InsyaAllah.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suit to serve for the all members in family. the slice of meat good to the youngest. Off course the soy sauce also the favorite of children too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ya Rad kids would love this dish.Thank you for dropping by

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of my favourite dishes whenever I eat nasi kandar!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hola Pete,hope your CNY is going great.Thanks for dropping by.Yes this is a fav among Nasi Kandar fans :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for following me on google. :) I have also followed you (I'm the purple unicorn).. hehehe...

    I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!


    C

    ReplyDelete
  16. C thank you for dropping by and following.Glad we are friends.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Umi.
    Sedapnye. Ni semua umi masak sendiri ke? Tapi ada kelainan plak daging masak kicap ni.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi lunaticg.Thank you so much for dropping by and your comments.Ya umi masak sendiri.Yang lain tu mungkin sebab ini adalah masakan ala nasi kandar.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL..lapaq manjang..hantu raya ka?..HAHAHA..azuree thanks for visiting

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Umi.Hope yur always sihat walfiat. I saw that yur cooking look delicious. Can I copy down yur resepi so that I can cook and share it with my family members. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. assalamualaikum,may peace and blessing and rahmah from allah always be with you, and your family always.
    umi, ihave always been a fan of your coloum about malay food and the different resepi.will it be possiblefor you as to conduct a cooking class for me?i have always loved a malay dishes and would welcome any suggestion. i lived in australia and will be coming to malaysia in july for the first time. any comment, umi?

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Rasek
    Hi Rasek. You are welcome to copy all the recipes in umidishes. I am very happy to share them with everyone and so glad that you want to try them. Thank you for visiting.I appreciate this very much.
    Take care and regards to your family. Happy trying. Feel free to ask me anything if you are in doubt about the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @mamat
    W/salam mamat. May peace,blessing and rahmah from Allah be upon you and your family too.Amin.

    I thank you for the attention and kind comments.
    I am so honoured by the compliments. I am however not a chef. The dishes that I am sharing here are those that I cooked often at home.

    I am now embarking on a catering business and I am afraid I may be too busy to conduct cooking lessons. It is also hard for me to commit to anything that I may not be able to fulfill.I am not sure where I will be come July due to other business and family commitments.As it is the blog too has suffered due to my busy commitments. I hardly have time to post regularly now.

    Anyways I do hope my videos are helpful to you and feel free to ask me any question pertaining to the recipes should you encounter any problems.

    Take care. Jazak Allah Khairan.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...