Saturday, September 7, 2013
Daging Masak Kicap Nasi Kandar(Beef in Soy Sauce Malaysian Indian Muslims Style)
Hello my dear readers.Hope everyone have had a wonderful Chinese New Year celebration and a joyous holiday.I'd also like to extend my heartiest congratulation to one of our umidishes member, Rad alias Den Macho and his wife, on the birth of their 7th child, Muhammad Abdul Razak on the 17th February. recently. All in all the new week of the New Year of the Tiger has been a joyful one,alhamdulillah.
In this outing,umidishes wish to share with you a dish that is very popular in Malaysian among the Nasi Kandar fans.The dish is called Daging Masak Kicap Nasi Kandar or Beef in Soy Sauce Malaysian Indian Muslims Style. For those of you who are not familiar with Malaysia, the Indian Muslims community here are mostly restaurateurs selling Nasi Kandar and other Indian dishes.
Let us watch the video.Enjoy.
Here's the recipe:
DAGING MASAK KICAP NASI KANDAR
1 kg. meat (boiled and cut as you wish)
1 cup sweet soy sauce
1/4 cup chilli powder
1 tbs cumin (grind)
1 tbs fennel (grind)
1 tbs garam masala
1 tbs pepper (grind)
1 tbs fried onions.
1 stalk lemon grass (bruised) this is optional.
2 cups water
3 big onions (slice thinly)
2 in ginger (slice thinly)
4 cloves garlic (slice thinly)
3 tomatoes (cut into wedges)
2 green chillies (cut into half lengthwise)
spices: 1in cinnamon,1 tsp cloves,1 star anise.1 tsp cardamom
1 stalk spring onion ( cut roughly)
1 stalk coriander leaf (cut roughly)
few stalks of curry leaf
1/2 cup oil for frying
salt to taste if you wish (optional because the soy sauce is already salty)
1) Heat oil and fry onion.ginger and garlic until brown.
2) Add the curry leaf and spices.
3) Add in the curry powder.cumin,fennel and garam masala.Stir for 1 minute.
4) Add in 1 cup of water and soy sauce. Stir well.
5) Add in the meat and another 1 cup of water.
6) Add in the fried onion to thicken the sauce and to give the taste some balance.
7) Add in the tomatoes,lemon grass and green chillies. Stir well.
8) Let the meat simmer in the soy sauce until the sauce thickens slightly and the meat is tender.
9) You can add salt at this point if you like.
10) When the sauce has thicken and the meat is tender add in the spring onion and coriander leaves. Stir and remove from the stove.
11) Ready to serve.
Till we meet again,take care and enjoy trying the Daging Masak Kicap Nasi Kandar.
(pix from umidishes album)