Sunday, August 30, 2009
Welcome to my kitchen where I will be sharing with you, our family dishes that was taught to me by my mum and my relations. As with all eastern dishes you are at liberty to add or reduce the ingredients according to your preference. In this maiden entry I am going to share with you the recipe of Ayam Masak Merah or Chicken Chilli.
AYAM MASAK MERAH
clean and cut into serving pieces
rub salt and tumeric and deep fried (3/4 cooked)
peeled and cut into wedges and deep fried
2 tomatoes cut into wedges
2 big onions cut into rings
1 rice bowl processed peas
1 cup raisins
1 cup fried onions
4 rice bowl blended dried chillies
3 tbsp tomato sauce
3 big onions blend
3 inch ginger blend
2 sticks Cinnamon
1 tsp clove
1 tsp star anise
1 tsp cardamom
4 dried chillies sliced
2 bulbs garlic sliced/blend
3 big onions sliced
1 inch ginger sliced
salt to taste
4 cups vegetable oil for frying
1 cup each of sliced mint leaf, Chinese celeries,spring onions, coriander leaves
1) Use back the oil that was used for frying the chicken and potatoes
2) Fry the sliced onions,ginger,garlic, dried chillies and spices (cardamom,clove,star anise,cinnamon)
3) When its browning slightly put in blended onions and blended ginger.Stir and put in the blended chillies, tomato sauce, fried onions, raisins, .
4) Let it simmer a while and put in salt to taste
5) Put in the chicken,potato and peas.Stir well.
6) Let it simmer and lastly put in the coriander leaves, Chinese celery, spring onions,mint leaves,tomatoes and onion rings.
7) Stir well and remove from the stove. Serve.
(pic: from umidishes personal album Ayam Masak Merah)
The next dish to be featured in umidishes is Vegetable Dalcha. This is a very popular dish. It is cooked to accompany all kind of rice dishes in weddings and festivals or in restaurants and food stalls. It is also a popular dip for Malaysian all time favourite Roti Canai, Capati and normal sandwich bread which in some parts of Malaysia is still being baked the old fashion way and is called Roti Benggali. Vegetable Dalcha is suitable for vegetarians. We can add chicken or meat or eggs to the Dalcha if we so wish. The type of vegetables that we used can also varies according to our likings. We can use gourds, pumpkins, sweet potato, all types of beans and peas. In short its a versatile dish which you can customized to your heart content. In eastern cooking there is never a right or wrong recipes. Its entirely dynamic and varies according to the cook preference. So don't be afraid to try and experiment with the dishes until you arrive at your own best recipe. What I am going to share with you is only one way of the many ways of cooking Dalcha. Maybe in future I will show you other ways of cooking Dalcha. So, sit back and let me share with you Vegetable Dalcha. Enjoy !!
4 cups of vegetable oil
1 rice bowl dhall or lentils boiled
6 potatoes cut into small pieces and boiled
2 big onions sliced thinly
2 bulb garlics sliced/pounded
4 dried chillies sliced coarsely
1 inch ginger sliced thinly
2 sticks cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp cardamom
1 tsp star anise
some curry leaves
1 cup spring onions shredded
1 cup chinese celery shredded
1 cup mint leaves shredded
1 cup coriander leaves shredded
2 big onions blended
2 inch ginger blended
2 tomatoes wedged
2 red/green chillies cut in half
3 tbsp chilli powder
3 tbsp curry powder(for meat/poultry)
1 rice bowl santan or coconut milk
salt to taste
vegetables (optional, you can replace with vegetables of your choice:
1 carrot sliced
2 brinjals/egg plant sliced
10 strings of long beans
3 unripened bananas scrape the outer skin and slice into small pieces diagonally
(pic: from umidishes personal album Vegetable Dalcha)
1) Heat the oil and fry the sliced onions,garlic,ginger,dried chillies and spices (cinnamon,cardamom,cloves and star anise) and curry leaves until brown.
2) Stir in the curry powder and chilli powder. Fry for 2-3 mins. Don't fry for too long coz the curry powder and the chilli powder will get burnt if leave too long.
3) Put in the blended onions and blended ginger.Stir well.
4) Put in some water. (the quantity according to the amount of the liquid you want the Dalcha to have. It is best not to be too thick or too runny).
5) Put in the banana, carrot, chilli, tomatoes, coconut milk, boiled dhall and boiled potato. Stir and mix well.
6) Next put in the long beans and brinjals, chinese celery, spring onions, mints, coriander leaves.
7) Stir well and let the Dalcha boils.
8) Salt to taste and switch off the stove. Ready to serve.
So here we are with two delicious dishes which are quite simple and not very time consuming to prepare.I hope you will try the recipe. If you have any questions with regards to the above recipes,feel free to ask me.
Till we meet again, take care of your self and bon apetit.