Saturday, December 26, 2009
Savoury Potato Pudding (Bengkang Ubi Benggala)
Hello to all my readers.In this outing I'd like to share with you a special pudding called Bengkang Ubi Benggala or Savoury Potato Pudding. In the northern state of Malaysia, my home town, this dish is normally given to future groom from the bride-to-be family or vice versa either as a gift in an engagement or wedding occasions. This dish is also served in formal high teas or is made when receiving important guests to the house.
It is not Malay in origin. My guess is it's adopted during the British reign in Malaya then or from the Middle East.
Savoury Potato Pudding
400gm minced meat or chicken
4 big onions cubed
3 tomatoes cubed
3 fresh red chillies shredded thinly/cubed
1 stalk chinese parsley shredded thinly
1 stalk spring onion shredded thinly
1in. ginger pounded/grated
4 cloves garlic pounded/grated
1tsp. cinnamon powder
1tsp. nutmeg powder
1tbs. black pepper powder
50gm butter for frying
salt to taste
1/2 cups fresh milk
1kg. potato boiled and mashed
20gm butter to line the baking dish and to sprinkle over the pudding mixture
1) Heat butter in wok/pan
2) Saute grated garlic and ginger for a minute
3) Add in the meat and spices (pepper,cinnamon,nutmeg powders)
4) When the meat is about half cooked put in the onions and stir well for a minute.
5) Add in the tomatoes, chillies, parsley and spring onions.
6) Add in the salt and stir well until the meat is fully cooked.
7) Remove from fire and set aside.
1) Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl.
2) Beat in the milk.
3) Add in the flour and beat well.
4) Add in the salt.
5) Lastly add in the mashed potato. Mix well.
6) Line a baking dish with butter
7) Divide the potato mixture in 2 potions.
8) Take a potion of the mixture and spread it well in the baking dish.
9) Spread the meat mixture over the potato layer.
10) Cover the meat mixture with the 2nd potion of the potato mixture.
11) Sprinkle some butter over the potato and bake.
12) Oven temperature 150-175 celcius for 40 minutes and another 3-5 minutes use the upper grill to brown the top if you like.
13) Serve with chilli sauce if you prefer :)
I hope you will try this delicious pudding. Till next time, take care of yourself.