Saturday, September 7, 2013
Kari Ikan Tenggiri Cik Jah (Cik Jah's Mackerel Fish Curry)
I am happy to share with you a recipe that was handed down to me by my late mum Cik Jah. So I named this dish Kari Ikan Tenggiri Cik Jah (Cik Jah Mackerel Fish Curry). Cik Jah was a demanding teacher :)..she was a perfectionist when it comes to cooking and housework. Her curry was famous among our family and friends. The secret is in the curry mixture and slow cook. The fire has to be low and the curry has to simmer slowly. Usually she used the earthen pot. Mine has cracked recently and so I used normal pot this time.
Here's the video.Enjoy.
Here's the recipe:
KARI IKAN TENGGIRI CIK JAH
4 pieces Mackerel steak (wash and clean)
10 pcs small Bombay onion (slice thinly)
5 pcs garlic (slice thinly)
1 in ginger (slice thinly)
2 tsp mixed halba spice
1.5 liter water
1/2 cup tamarind (mixed with the water to make tamarind juice)
1 cup coconut milk
2 tomatoes (cut into wedges)
10 pieces ladies fingers
5 pieces green chillies (cut lengthwise)
3/4 cup oil
some curry leaf
salt to taste
curry powder mixture
1 cup fish curry powder
2 cloves garlic
5 small Bombay onion
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp black peppercorn
1 tbs salt
1) Prepare the curry powder mixture:
a) Pound the onion and garlic until fine.
b) Add in the cumin and black peppercorn.
c) Pound until fine.
d) Add the onion mixture and salt into the curry powder.
e) Mix the curry powder with the tamarind juice.
2) Heat the oil.Fry onions,garlic,ginger,mixed halba and curry leaf.
3) Fry until brown. Add the curry powder mixture.
4) Add a little tamarind juice and let the curry mixture boil until the oil separates and bubbly.
5) Add some more tamarind juice,half of the tomatoes and half of the green chillies.
6) When the curry has boiled add the rest of the tamarind juice and the coconut milk.
7) Add the fish. Let it boil and and add the ladies fingers and the rest of the tomatoes and green chillies.Check the taste.If needed add some salt.
8) Boil for a further few minutes.
9) Ready to serve.
Do try Cik Jah's Mackerel Fish Curry.It can be eaten with rice,bread or prata or chappati etc. We used to dip the butter crackers biscuits with this curry..awesome.Till we meet again,take care.
(pix from umidishes album)