Saturday, September 7, 2013
OPOR NANGKA MUDA (JACKFRUIT IN HOT & SPICY COCONUT GRAVY)
OPOR NANGKA MUDA
(pic from umidishes album)
During my schooling days I used to visit my aunt who at that time was living in Parit,Perak. The village she was staying in was mostly populated with descendants of Sumatran specifically the Minangkabau folks. I just love the dishes that were cooked during weddings there. One dish in particular was the Opor Nangka. It is hot and spicy. I'd like to share with you,my umidishes readers, the recipe of this delicious Indonesian dish ;the way my auntie taught me and hope you would try it. Enjoy :)
1/2 kg. young jack fruit (cut into small pieces and boiled)
1/2 kg meat/ribs (boiled/pressure cooked)
2 cups concentrated coconut milk
5 cups diluted coconut milk
1 tbs. cinnamon powder
1 tbs. nutmeg powder
4 pieces tumeric leaf (slice thinly)
2 pieces kafir lime leaf
3 pieces lemon grass (bruised)
2 pieces asam keping (can be substituted with 1/2 cup lemon juice)
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup kerisek (fry grated coconut from 1 coconut without oil until brown and grind/pound very finely)
1 tbs cumin/jintan puteh
2 tbs coriander
6 pieces candlenuts/buah keras/kemiri
20 pieces dried red chillies (boiled)
20 pieces thai/bird chillies
4 pieces fresh tumeric
2 in. ginger
2 in. galangal/lengkuas
1 big onion
4 cloves garlic
(Note:The spices like cinnamon,nutmeg,coriander, candle nut and cumin have to be roasted first before grinding)
1) Heat oil in a pot and fry onions and garlic for few minutes until aromatic.
2) Add in the red chillies, thai chillies, lemon grass, galangal, ginger.tumeric, candle nut, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and asam keping (use lime or lemon juice alternatively).
3) Stir well and leave it to fry for few minutes until aromatic and the oil separated.(bubbles of oil will appear)
4) Add in the diluted coconut milk and the kerisek.Let the gravy boil and the liquid reduced a bit.
5) Add in the concentrated coconut milk,jack fruit and the meat. Simmer with slow fire until it boils again.
6) Add in the kafir lime leaf and the sliced tumeric leaf. Simmer a little longer until the gravy thickens. Remove from the stove.
7) Ready to serve.
That is all for now. Till we meet again with another umidishes, have a great week ahead. Take care of yourself ya.