Monday, February 15, 2010
Nasi Minyak (Plain Buttered Rice)
(pix from umidishes album)
Hello dear readers.On this auspicious day, Chinese New Year, umidishes shares with you a popular rice dish called Nasi Minyak or Plain Buttered Rice. I am sharing this Nasi Minyak recipe due to request from friends.I have used a combination of ghee and vegetable oil. You may substitute these with butter or just plain vegetable oil. You may also reduce the amount of any ingredients according to your taste. Enjoy the video :)
Here's the recipe:
NASI MINYAK (PLAIN BUTTERED RICE)
4 cups Basmati rice (soak in water for 1 hr with 1 tbs vinegar)
4 cups plain water (add 1 tsp rose essence for aroma)
2 cups evaporated milk
6 small Bombay onions (slice thinly)
2 in. ginger (grated or pounded)
4 cloves garlic (grated or pounded)
1 stalk of coriander leaf and some mint leaf/pudina (chopped roughly)
2 pandan leaf (can be substituted with bay leaf)
salt to taste
spices in a pouch: cardamom,cloves and star anise.
2 in cinnamon (break into 2)
1) Wash rice thoroughly and drain. Set aside.
2) Heat the pot and put in the oil and the ghee/butter.
3) Fry onions,ginger and garlic until slightly brown and aromatic.
4) Add the cinamon and rice. Fry for few minutes until the oil and ghee have combined well with the rice.
5) Pour in the water and milk. Add the spice pouch and salt.
6) Cook until the rice is about 3/4 cooked.
7) Add the coriander leaf,mint leaf/pudina and pandan/bay leaf.
8) Cover the pot with aluminium foil.Put back the lid and place a heavy thing on it.Place a sheet of tin or old pot lid beneath the rice pot to prevent the rice from burning.
9) Let the rice cook for half hour more under very slow fire.
10)Open the lid and foil. Stir the rice and remove from stove.
11) Ready to serve. Garnish with fried cashew nuts, fried onions and raisins if you prefer.
That's all for now. Buttered rice is excellent with Dalcha, Kurma or curry. Bon apetit. Till we meet again, take care of yourself and thank you for taking the time to read and watch the presentation. Bye.